I don’t know about you, but my kids and I are really looking forward to getting back to going places and seeing people in person! However, it looks like it’s still going to be awhile until that happens. Meanwhile, many places in the Green Bay area are offering free virtual storytimes and activities for kids/families. It’s hard to keep track of them all, but here’s what I know of at this point. (If you know of any others, please comment below or send me a message with the info!)
Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary
The Wildlife Sanctuary is posting various weekly videos of animals, wildlife facts and etc and continuing their regular Monday storytimes on their Facebook page.
Brown County Library
Currently Brown County Library is not doing any virtual storytimes that I am aware of, but they have a great list of resources for other virtual storytimes and activities including “Storytime from Space”! Check out their great list of resources here. You can also now place orders online for books and schedule to pick them up curbside! Order your books online or find out more info here.
Children’s Museum of Green Bay
The Children’s Museum of Green Bay is offering a variety of virtual storytimes and musical activities through the end of May. Check out their FB page for complete details and to watch their live streams. You can also watch them on their YouTube channel for crafts and other project ideas.
- Ms Heather’s Bedtime Book Club: Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7PM. Get your pajamas on and smart screens ready as Ms. Heather reads stories YOU PICK for bedtime! This virtual bedtime story will be available via The Children’s Museum of Green Bay Facebook Page. On Tuesdays & Thursdays at 7pm CST, we will begin the LIVE stream.
*Parents make sure to have your smartphone ready to interact with Ms. Heather…she will be saying hello to some of the children who let her know that they’re watching!
- Sunday Story Time with Peggy Eserkaln: Sundays at 7PM. We are partnering with Peggy Eserkaln (Local Author, Teacher & Improv Comic) for our new weekly Sunday Story Time! Join Peggy LIVE every Sunday as she reads a few chapters from her book, Sydney Owns a School, and interacts with you in real time. Imaginations are required.
Do you want your own copy of her book? Check out your local Little Free Library! Peggy is donating and delivering signed copies to Little Free Libraries around the Greater Green Bay area until supplies run out. Don’t see one in your local Little Free Library yet? Tell us where it’s located! Find your local Little Free Library: www.littlefreelibrary.org
*Make sure you LIKE and FOLLOW The Children’s Museum of Green Bay to receive notification when we go LIVE.
- Wiggle, Move & Giggle: Thursday, May 7th at 10:15 AM. Join us for another excerpt from our ever popular Wiggle, Move, and Giggle class! Geared for toddlers and preschoolers, we will virtually sing, move, and create music together. For this class, you will need: a shaker/maraca (or small container filled with rice, beans or noodles) and a scarf or small piece of fabric. Tune in LIVE on Facebook!
Greater Green Bay YMCA
“Friday Morning Storytimes” and “Science with Miss Shannon” videos posted on their Facebook page which you can check out here.
Green Bay Elite Cheer Co.
In this Cheer Class from GBE, kids can get active and spread some “cheer” at home! They will dance, jump, condition, tumble and do different body positions. Join the class live via Facebook Live on Thursdays (May 7th, 14th & 21st) from 6:00-6:30 PM through the GBE Facebook page here.
In this Virtual Cheer & Tumble class from GBE, kids ages 5-8 will dance, jump, play games and tumble! Join the class live via Facebook Live every Tuesday in May (May 5th, 12th, 19th & 26th) at 6PM through the GBE Facebook page here.
Green Bay Kroc Center
The Kroc center has a great list of resources and activities for families–from kids to adults–for education, entertainment, health & fitness, arts and spirituality. Find it here.
Heritage Hill State Park
Heritage Hill is one of the few places that is actually still open to the public during this time! You can visit from 10-3 daily to walk through the park and they are waiving admission fees during this time. (Donations appreciated.) Visitors must practice social distancing & all buildings/restrooms are closed to the public. But it’s still a great way to get out and go for a walk…and travel back in time. Dogs are welcome, too, if they are on leashes and owners pick-up after them. Heritage Hill is also doing “Family Fun Friday” activities which you can find weekly on their Facebook page here.
Jenstar Movement Studio
Virtual Kids’ Yoga for ages 1-5. The next virtual session (using Zoom) will have an “Animal” theme and is scheduled for May 7th from 10:00 to 10:30AM. Get the info here.
They plan to do sessions about twice a month. Watch their FB page for updates/events.
Let’s go mommy
Let’s go mommy is typically the go-to resource for family-friendly events & places to go in the Green Bay area. There are no in-person events and very few places to go for now, but let’s go mommy is still providing daily at-home activity ideas for families through June 12th on its Facebook page, or you can check out this blog with the complete list of 61 different ideas. Let’s go mommy also has a YouTube channel with fun videos for your kids to watch from unboxing toys, slime-making, storytimes/read alouds, DIY projects, playing Barbies and more! Check out the channel here.
National Railroad Museum
The National Railroad Museum has a virtual activity zone on their website for the kids to enjoy at home. From coloring and counting to science and math, you will find activities to engage all ages. There are also several pre-recorded train-themed storytimes the kids can enjoy watching along with craft ideas that tell you what supplies you need and provide instructions.
Neville Public Museum
The Neville Public Museum is loaning out puzzles & games to people during quarantine! They have a treasure trove of beautiful puzzles and games. Just email Katy or call her at 920-265-3691 with your order, and they will have your puzzles and games ready for contact-free curbside pick up on Fridays between noon and 4:30 PM.
Watch their live webcam anytime, including live streams of the otters eating breakfast every morning at 7AM and lunch everyday at noon on their YouTube channel. They also post some fun videos on their Facebook page which you can check out here.
Packers Hall of Fame
The Packers Hall of Fame is offering virtual programming during Safer at Home. Visit their website for complete details, but here is a general overview of what you can expect:
- Tuesdays: Packers Hall of Fame Live – Join the Packers Hall of Fame on Facebook Live Tuesdays at 1 PM for an interactive Hall of Fame experience. Hosted by Hall of Fame staff, each week will focus on a different aspect of the museum or Stadium Tours, including exhibit development, game weekend operation and what it’s like to be a Lambeau Field tour guide. These live broadcasts on the Packers Hall of Fame’s Facebook page will include Q&A sessions, so fans are encouraged to tune in and chime in.
- Wednesdays: Virtual Art Tour – Explore the art pieces that line the walls of historic Lambeau Field, with each Wednesday featuring a different style of art and different artists in the Green Bay Packers Collection that specializes in that medium. This program also will include a family friendly art project based on the art featured. Find these pre-recorded programs posted Wednesdays at 10 AM on the Hall of Fame’s website.
- Thursdays: Packers History Presentation – Join Packers Hall of Fame curator Brent Hensel as he discusses a different topic about the team’s history each week. View each pre-recorded presentation starting on Thursdays at 10 AM on the Hall of Fame’s website.
- Fridays: Virtual Scavenger Hunt – Discover the Hall of Fame from home by joining the Packers Hall of Fame Hustle virtual scavenger hunt. Directions for the game will go live on the Hall of Fame’s website Fridays at 10 AM, and those who participate in the first hour of the game will receive responses from staff members on their submissions.
Enjoy fun storytimes with REAL ponies at Pony Playce! Storytimes are geared to kids ages 3-6. Visit their FB page to watch a special storytime at your convenience!
Titletown is providing a variety of virtual activities to keep kids and families busy all week long! Check out their daily events here. Here is a general overview of what they will be offering each week through the end of May:
- Mondays: Reading Room – enjoy and engage with digital resources with new reading links and discussion prompts for various age groups Mondays at 9AM. The virtual program is part of Get Learning!
- Tuesdays: Global Passport – opportunities to travel the world without leaving the living room, with one language/culture being explored for a three-week period beginning Tuesdays at 9AM. Global Passport is a program of Get Learning! Backyard Games – fun new games and ideas will be posted Tuesdays at 2PM to get families moving and playing.
- Wednesdays: Music + Movement – playful digital resources for toddlers and preschoolers will bring music and movement activities to life.
- Thursdays: Art Cart – aspiring young artists will be challenged to complete a new art project Thursdays at 9AM.
- Fridays: Let’s Move – fitness programming for elementary and middle schoolers will help them stay active while learning remotely Fridays at 9AM. The Park Bench – take a break for a moment on Titletown’s virtual park bench, with a new video to help community members escape and engage Fridays at 11:30 AM. Boredom Busters – stay safer at home as you learn a new card game, test out a recipe and more, with new resources offered Fridays at 2 PM.
- Saturdays: Get Fit – get moving at home with new online fitness classes posted Saturdays at 8 AM, offering new ways to work out and stay active for all ages.
- Sundays: Science Sundays – community members will be invited to channel their inner scientist through digital learning with a STEAM focus (science, technology, engineering, arts, math) with new resources Sundays at 9 AM. Crafternoon – enjoy a Sunday fun-day by creating something beautiful with repurposed items from around the home.